By Anna Reardon, Staff Writer, DeFuniak Springs Herald-Breeze, December 28, 1972, Page 1Published by the Genealogical Society of Okaloosa County, Volume XIX, Number 66, Winter 1995, Pages 52-53. The man for whom the town of DeFuniak Springs was named, was a Frenchman, according to his grandson, Colonel William Q. DeFuniak… Continue reading
Source: De Funiak Springs and Walton County, Florida; compiled by Chas. F. Turner; unknown pub. date
Highway 90 Drive-in in DeFuniak Springs Trail Drive-in in DeFuniak Springs Starlite Drive-in in Paxton/Laurel Hill If you have any information about these movie drive-ins, please write to DianeMerkel@cox.net.
Santa Rosa Beach Destin Log – July 18, 1984 The Florida Bureau of Historic Preservation would like to find the map referenced in this article: If you have information about the map or know where John Andrew Fleury is now, please contact Diane Merkel at DianeMerkel@cox.net.
As of March 16, 1913 (This was before Okaloosa County was formed and before the eastern part of Santa Rosa peninsula left Washington County to become the southern part of Walton County.) Argyle Bearhead Bolton Bruce Crestview Darlington Dearland DeFuniak Dorcas Ealum Freeport Garden City Glendale Gordon Lakewood Laurel Hill… Continue reading
Stuart Knox Gillis, seventh son and eleventh child of John and Christian McIntosh Gillis, was born at Knox Hill, Walton County, Florida on July 28, 1866. He, like his older brothers, attended school at the Old Knox Hill Academy. As did many of his Gillis kin, Knox Gillis taught school in his younger… Continue reading
In a story called, “David Donaldson (left) My Great Grandfather” it states, in part: “Benjamin [Donaldson] served three years in the Confederate Army, was captured by the Yankees and finally joined up with the Union forces at Barrancas in Pensacola. Ben was a blacksmith and his young son Dave worked… Continue reading
This undated photograph shows the busy town of Darlington about 100 years ago. According to Sally Merrifield of Merrifield & Pilcher Realty, the store on the right was either Moore’s Store or Green’s Store. There was a huge turpentine industry there until the early 1940s. It disappeared and so did… Continue reading
In June 1903, L. G. Crosby became the sole owner of the new Pensacola Coca-Cola franchise. In September of that year, he produced the first bottle of Coca-Cola in the Pensacola plant. By 1924, Crosby had succeeded in running his competitors out of business and had the only bottling plant… Continue reading
The Hotel Chautauqua was built in time for the first Florida Chautauqua Assembly in 1885. It was located on the site that was until recently occupied by Gulf Power on Circle Drive. The photograph above was taken by G. Willard Shear in 1887. Note the fence on the lakeside, which… Continue reading