The Breeze – July 27, 1911 – Page 5

The power house was closed down for a short time last Friday night for the reason that steam could not be kept up on account of some trouble with the furnace. It only lasted for a short time before Mr. Tarance had everything running in good shape again. When the city is in darkness it is pretty hard to imagine how we got along when we did not have electric lights.

[Contributed by Michael Strickland]

The Breeze – July 27, 1911 – Page 5

D. J. Kluesmier, one of the oldest engineers on this division died at his home in Pensacola Saturday and was buried Sunday. “Daddy” Kluesmier as he was affectionately known among the railroad men was a general favorite among all that knew him, and it is said that in all his service he was never in a wreck. For years he never left on his run or left his engine at its close without kneeling for a moment in the cab in silent prayer.

[Contributed by Michael Strickland]

The Breeze – July 20, 1911 – Page 1

Resolution of Respect

The Ladies Library Association has been called upon again to mourn the loss of a loved and useful member in the passing away of Mrs. Judge Burdick. Mrs. Burdick was permanently a woman of home, where as a wife and mother she was a model for imitation, and she was a most faithful member of her church, in her place at all meetings as long as her health permitted, and this was true of her as a member of the Library Association in the work of which she always manifested the lovliest interest. She will be greatly missed by us for her nice councel and strong personality, her gracious and cheerful Christian bearing and her consistent piety. We call on ourselves to follow her example remembering that our Lord can be made the same to us that He was to her.

We enter upon our record, also the deep sympathy which we feel for the bereaved husband and children and ask God that her prayers in their behalf may continue to be answered.

It is ordered that this action be communicated to the afflicted family and be placed on the record of the Library Association.

Mrs. M. Manning
Miss Alice Fellows
Addie Beardsley.

[Contributed by Michael Strickland]

The Breeze – July 13, 1911 – Page 10


of the Fifth Sunday Meeting to Convene with Alice Creek Church, July 29th.
Meeting called to order by the Moderator at 10:20 a. m.
Sermon by Rev. Sidney J. Catts. Recess one hour for refreshments.
Meeting called to order by the Moderator. Permanent organization to be effected from one to one-thirty.
Lecture on orphan’s home and its results, 30 minutes by J. D. Alford and D. T.Arrant.
2 p. m. Lecture on Home Missions by J. E. West and S. J. Catts, 30 minutes.
Committee will arrange for services at 7:30 p. m.
Sunday, July 30th.
Meeting called to order at 9 a. m., by the Moderator.
Lecture on “Which is the true church, by D. Anderson 30 minutes.
9:30 to 10 a. m., Lecture on Sunday School and its effect by J. R. Anderson and U. C. Vinson. Recess ten minutes.
Sermon at 11 a. m., by Rev. D. Anderson. Recess one hour for refreshments.
at 1:30 lecture on Foreign Missions by J. R. Anderson and D. T. Arrant.
At 2 p. m., lecture on good behavior and its effect on society by Bros. Arrant, Morrison and D. Anderson. Recess 10 minutes.
Sermon at 3 p. m., by J. D. Hattaway.
Respectfully submitted,
Perry A. Jones
Insel Spence.
W. C. Cook.

[Contributed by Michael Strickland]

The Breeze – July 13, 1911 – Page 8

A Friend of ours, Gone.

Mr. J. C. Scott, one of the pioneer northern settlers of DeFuniak, passed away at his summer home in Chautauqua, N. Y., on the 30th of last month from a stroke of paralysis which attacked him on the 23rd. As proprietor of the old New York House which stood on the site where the merry-go-around pavilion now stands, he was known to hundreds of our winter visitors from all over the country. After that was destroyed in the big fire of 1898 he built the house which formed a part of Dr. McKinnon’s residence, and later moved to the cottage he built on 13th street.

Mr. Scott was a veteran of the war between the states on the union side and a veteran Odd Fellow.

The sympathy of a host of friends, both here and elsewhere who knew Mr. Scott.

[Contributed by Michael Strickland]

The Breeze – July 13, 1911 – Page 8

In Memoriam.

Excerpt from the minutes of Camp E. Kirby Smith, July 1st, 1911:

The following was reported and adopted:

“By the death of our Commandant, William B. McLeod, June 29, 1911, a man of sterling character, a good soldier in times “that tried men’s souls” and a patriotic citizen of the reunited country was removed from the scene of earthly activities.

Espousing a cause that had the sanction of his head and detion of his heart, he volunteered in the Confederate service as a member of Company E, 1st Fla., regiment.

He was wounded on the hotly contested field of Chicamauga in 1863 and the next year lost an arm by a cannon ball in the fighting around Atlanta.

He enlisted as a soldier of the cross also. Was a ruling elder in Freeport church and after his removal to De Funiak, was chosen for the same position in the church there.

When at last the point of exhaustion was reached and the flag he loved was lowered to overwhelming numbers, he was saddened indeed, but not unmanned. Having made an honorable record in war, he now exemplifies good citizenship in peace. Substituting the implements of industry for the weapons of war he became a factor in the up building of his beloved South. He was often entrusted with positions of responsibility in his county. He was twice tax assessor, once collector and served on the boards of Public Instruction and County commissioners.

His record is made and has won wide approval.

Our ranks are already thin, and are thinning more and more rapidly as the sun of our earthly lives hastens to its setting. But if only we, soldiers of the Confederacy, enlist under the Banner of the Crost of the Captain of Salvation will lead us to assured victory, and in lieu of the Cypress we shall one day wave the Palm.

Resolved, First; That the death of Captain McLeod entails a loss to our camp, to the community and to his family.

Second; that we tender our condolence to the family and order that a page be inscribed to his memory.

Third; that this memorial be published in the local papers and that a copy be sent to the family of our deceased comrade.

Respectfully submitted: R. Q. Baker, W. C. McLean, J. C. Douglass, W. D. McLean, W. A. Winslett. Committee.

[Contributed by Michael Strickland]

The Breeze – July 13, 1911 – Page 7

Word was received here last week of the death of Mr. Wm. A. Carney at his home in Atmore, Ala. Mr. Carney was the father of Mrs. Kenneth Bruce and well-known to many of our people, and in his demise his state and community has lost a valuable citizen. While unostentious in his charities was a true philanthrophist, and there were many who he aided over the rough places in life who will mourn his loss as that of a father. He was largely interested in the development of south Alabama, and his keen foresight had brought him large returns.

Our deepest sympathy is extended to his bereaved ones.

[Contributed by Michael Strickland]