Captain John T. Stubbs, who suffered a stroke of paralysis nearly five years ago, died at his home in this city last Monday at the age of seventy-seven years and ten months. He was born at Marlboro District, S. C., January 25th, 1835. He served with distinction in the Confederate army in the war between the states, having attained the rank of Captain of Company C, 1st Alabama Regiment. He was a gallant soldier in war and a most honorable and estimable citizen in peace. He was married to Miss Emily L. Gerkey, on June 15, 1860 and reared a family of 8 children, 4 daughters and 4 sons, wife and six children of whom survive him.
When sixteen years old, Captain Stubbs, with the rest of his father’s family, removed to Alabama and located at Fort Deposit, where he resided until 1873, when he removed with his family to Milton, Fla. He removed to DeFuniak in 1883 and engaged with Mr. Murray Cawthon in the lumber business, afterward conducting the State Experimental Farm, just south of town, relinquishing this position to acquire and operate The DeFuniak Herald, which he did successfully up to five years ago, when a stroke of paralysis disqualified him for active newspaper work. He was a member of the Methodist church and was an earnest, consecrated Christian gentleman. He bore his affliction heroically and expressed no fear of the death which he has known was near for some weeks. All the members of his immediate family, except the eldest son, were present at the time of his death. The funeral services, which were under the auspices of the local camp of Confederate Veterans, of which organization he was a member, were conducted by Rev. D. P. Slaughter, assisted by Rev. R. Q. Baker and Rev. R. R. Ellison. The funeral, which was held at the home on Thirteenth street, was largely attended, and the casket was literally covered with beautiful floral offerings, paying mute, though eloquent tribute to the love in which the people held this good man, who has resided among us for thirty years.
[Contributed by Michael Strickland]