Mrs. W. W. Clark and son, William, were killed in their car by a logging train on the outskirts of Milton. Mrs. Clark was a sister of the late Judge T. F. West of Milton, and her sister was the wife of Luther Fisher of Milton, a brother of M. N. Fisher of this place.
Local News Items: Social and Personal Notes of Local Interest
- Rev. D. F. Slaughter of Ozark, Ala., was in the city Monday shaking hands with old friends who are always glad to see his genial face.
- Mrs. Ceal and son, of Birmingham, Ala., who have been here visiting her sister, Mrs. Geo. Davis, left for Jacksonville last Sunday night.
- Mr. D. E. Richardson returned from Jacksonville last Friday where he had been to attend the Re Union.
- Mrs. J. C. Walden Sr. was over from Andalusia, Ala., the first of the week to visit home folks.
- Mrs. Dear left for Miss. last Friday. Mrs. Dear has a host of friends here who hope to see her again soon.
- Mr. Wm. L. Campbell, of Bruce, was in the city the first of the week.
- Mr. Pink Ward, of Red Bay, is in the city this week, much to the joy of his many friends here.
- Mr. Patterson of Atmore, Ala., who has been here visiting his sister, Mrs. Kenneth Bruce, returned to his home last Sunday.
- Mrs. Lancelot Hughes and daughter, who have been here visiting her parents, Dr. and Mrs. G. P. Morris, left for their home in Ponce de Leon last Friday.
- Mrs. Seyfrit who has been here visiting her daughter, Mrs. Geo Davis, left for Bonifay last Tuesday.
- Mr. J. C. Ward, of Union, was in our city last Friday on business.
- Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Davis and daughter of Deerland were in our city last Saturday visiting friends.
- Mr. J. M. Wilson and family attended preaching at Gum Creek last Sunday.
- Rev. and Mrs. Buttrum of Freeport passed through our city last Friday enroute home after a visit to various cities in the county.
- Miss Ruby Cawthon and brother Mr. Lewis visited Gum Creek last Sunday.
- Mr. Amos Lewis of Marianna was in the city the first of the week.
- Mr. Frank attended church at Gum Creek last Sunday.
- Mr. Walker Green of Argyle was in our city last Friday and made a pleasant call at the Herald Office.
- Dr. G. P. Morris returned from Carrabelle last Thursday night after spending a few days with friends.
- Mrs. Obie Adams and daughter visited relatives at Freeport last Sunday.
- Mrs. T. N. Townsend and children who have been here visiting Dr. E. L. Townsend and family left for their home at Carrabelle last Saturday.
- Rev. P. M. Scott of Ponce de Leon was in our city last Saturday.
- Miss Martha Morrison [of] Euchee Valley was in town last Saturday visiting friends and relatives.
- Mr. D. H. King and mother Mrs. M. King attended preaching at Gum Creek last Sunday.
- Mr. J. E. Clark of Mossy Head was in town on business last Saturday.
- Mrs. J. C. Walden Sr. visited her sister Mrs. McLean at Freeport last Friday and Saturday.
- Mr. and Mrs. L. I. Langley of Alaqua were in town last Saturday.
- J. C. Walden Jr. visited relatives at Freeport last Saturday.
- John Fountain of Lakewood was in town last Tuesday.
- Mrs. Lowell, of Pensacola, arrived last Sunday to visit her friend, Mrs. M. A. Cawthon, [for] a few days.
- Mr. Frank McLean of Pensacola arrived last night to visit his niece, Mrs. W. K. Jennings.
- Mrs. Ratclift left last Friday for her home in Gloster, Miss.
- Dr. C. Thompson received the sad news of the death of his sister, Mrs. Rose Albee, at St. Thomas, Ontario, last Thursday morning.
- The W. C. T. U. will meet next Tuesday afternoon at 4 o’clock at the home of Mrs. Robert Buchanan.
- Mr. H. Jernigan, of Portland, is in town visiting his daughter, Mr. Geo. Ward.
- Dr. Mitchell left last night for Panama City on business.
- Mrs. Claude Meigs visited friends at Ponce de Leon last Tuesday.
- Mr. G. W. Parish of Niceville was in town yesterday to visit relatives.
- Miss Anna Parish left last night for Lucedale, Miss., to attend the graduating exercises of her niece, Miss Hazel Jones.
- Mrs. Ellen Ames of Texas arrived last Sunday to visit her friend, Mrs. M. A. Cawthon.
- Mr. D. C. Campbell of Jacksonville was in our city yesterday to visit his father Dr. D. L. Campbell.
- Mr. Bowers Campbell and family have rented Mrs. Sprague Cottage on the Circle and expect to move in as soon as some repairing is done.
- By order of the Chancellor Commander of the Felton Lodge K. of P. [Knights of Pythias] there will be a special meeting Monday night the 18th to confer ranks. All members are earnestly requested to be present at this meeting.
- Dr. S. E. Stephens of Mossy Head was in town on business Tuesday.
- Mr. Dave Adams, of Paxton, was in our city the first of the week on business.
- Mr. J. J. Meigs of Mossy Head visited our city on business Monday.
- Messrs. R. E. L. Jones, D. Jones and John Cortney of Ealum were in town the first of the week.
- Mr. Geo. Keene of Mossy Head was in town last Monday.
- Messrs. Bud Adams and Allen Jones of Ealum were in town the first of the week.
- Mr. Oscar Helms of Mossy Head was in town Tuesday.
- Mr. H. E. Wickersham and family visited relatives at Knox Hill Sunday afternoon.
- Mr. Norman Gillis of Knox Hill was in town the first of the week.
- Mrs. A. D. Douglass and son Curry of Pleasant Ridge were in town Wednesday.
- Mr. Chas. McIver, of Bruce, was in our city the first of the week.
- Messrs. J. N. Boothe and W. D. McCallum of Dorcas were in our city last Tuesday.
- Mrs. Miller and son Arthur of Bonifay visited relatives here Monday.
- D. G. Ray and Alvin Gillis visited friends at Westville last Sunday
- Mr. R. P. Winslett visited Bonifay, Caryville and Westville looking after Telephone business last Saturday.
- Mesdames Chas. and Harvey Turner and son visited relatives at Mossy Head last Thursday.
- Mrs. Jim Brigman of Westville returned to her home Wednesday after spending several days with her sister, Mrs. T. J. Miller.
[Compiled by Emily Petroskey]
A former DeFuniak woman, the former Ethel Clark of this county, her husband and 3 month old son died at their home in Pensacola Wednesday of last week as a result of gas fumes emanating from the basement. Funeral services for Mr and Mrs Otis Dan Baggett and their son, Harry Otis, were held at Euchee Valley church with interment in Euchee Valley Cemetery. Mr Baggett is survived by brother Claude C, 3 sisters, Mrs Pearl White, Mrs Nell Ree White and Mrs Nanny Clark. Mrs Baggett 21 is survived by Her parents Mr and Mrs H L Clark, 6 sisters, Ms Virginia Howell, Mrs Stella Bishop, Mrs Julia Hussey and Misses Bobbie, Joan and Alice Clark, 3 brothers Heuer, James and William Clark. The couple had been married abt a year and half, and were so happy when son was born in July.
Mrs Mary Spears Bishop, 87 died last Wednesday at the home of a niece, Mrs Perry Lee Spears, near Darlington. Services were held Thursday at Leonia cemetery where interment followed. Survivors include one son, B O Bishop, sister Mrs Sarah Ann Clark and 2 nephews J D Clark and Perry Lee Spears.
Births at the Lakeside Clinic:
Mr and Mrs J C Bellflower, girl, Nov 26 3 lbs 4 oz
Mr and Mrs Have Barton, boy, Nov 29, 9-1/4 lbs
John C McSween 86, died at home Friday morning. Services were held Saturday, interment at Magnolia. Survivors include widow, Mrs Grace McSween, 2 sons Dr J C and Marry McSween; 3 daughters Mrs F B Calloway, Mrs Kate Smith and Mrs T G Nesbitt.
[Contributed by Lois Danley and Sharon Watson]